Re: Intel 965 chipset and Debian Etch AMD64

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 18:06, drop669@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tuesday, July 10, 2007, 8:32:08 AM, you wrote:
> >> It seems, Debian Etch AMD64 installer is blind to CDROM on Q965 Intel
> >> chipset. On SATA I have only one HDD and I have CDROM as primary
> >> driver on PATA.
> >> What can I do?
> >
> > In your bios, try setting the SATA to compatability mode indstead of AHCI
>
> Thank you, but I tried this.
>
> BTW, is this problem may be only Debain-related or rather
> kernel-related?

I believe it's kernel related. I recently purchased a G965RYCK board that had
a similar (if not identical) problem. My solution (going from memory here[1])
was to set the BIOS options to "legacy" or "compatibility" mode and to use
one of the daily netinstall builds for testing (not Etch[2]). I also
installed the 2.6.21 kernel from sid. It was more of a headache than I've had
before installing debian, but not a huge deal.

As I recall, the problem in my case was related to the Marvell PATA controller
and the kernel's lack of a driver for it. The symptoms were sluggish reads
from the CD and then the installer saying that it couldn't detect the
installation cdrom.

Regards,

Anson

[1] I also passed the kernel some additional parameters...something like
generic-ide. I'm not certain about the specifics though, you'll want to
google for it.

[2] If you can get Etch to load (using the generic-ide or something else) you
should be able to get full support for your board by using a kernel image
newer than the 2.6.18-4 that's in Etch right now.
--
ACHTUNG!  ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!
Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.