sudden unexplained breakage in aptitude

hey gang, one of my boxes as just showed sudden, unexplained breakage
in aptitude. This is xen domU firewall running almost-up-to-date
etch. For a few days, the only update showing was

  libkrb53

so I've been back-burnering that one upgrade. suddenly today, I show:

The following packages are BROKEN:
  cron debconf debianutils dhcp3-client dpkg exim4 gnupg iptables
  libc6 libgcc1 libgnutls13 libpam-modules libpam0g
  libreadline5 libsasl2-2 libstdc++6 logrotate netbase openssh-client
  openssh-server passwd pciutils sysklogd
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  binutils dbus iproute libatm1 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libpcap0.8
  libx11-6 x11-common

and further, aptitude says:

  libpam0g: Depends: libpam-runtime but it is not installable

[... snip a bunch of these...]

  exim4: Depends: exim4-base (>= 4.63) but it is not installable
         Depends: exim4-daemon-light but it is not installable or
                  exim4-daemon-heavy but it is not installable or
                  exim4-daemon-custom which is a virtual package.

[... snip a bunch more, exim left cause its easy to understand for me ...]

Resolving dependencies...

Install the following packages:
coreutils [5.97-5.3 (stable, now)]
debconf-english [1.5.11 (stable)]
dhcp3-common [3.0.4-13 (stable, now)]
exim4-base [4.63-17 (stable)]
exim4-config [4.63-17 (stable)]
exim4-daemon-light [4.63-17 (stable)]

[... snip the rest ...]

these 3 exim packages are installed already...

andrew@firewall:~$ dpkg -l exim\* | awk '/^ii/ {print $1, $2, $3}'
ii exim4 4.63-17
ii exim4-base 4.63-17
ii exim4-config 4.63-17
ii exim4-daemon-light 4.63-17

and all the others are currently installed, whether they say (stable,
now) or just (stable).

wtf is this? I have made some changes to my apt system, but that was
days ago (installing and configuring approx) and this problem only
showed up yesterday

thoughts? what would cause this to suddenly appear? anyone else seeing
something similar?

and, btw, none of my other systems show this breakage.

could it be just a corrupted apt cache perhaps?