Re: tetex and texlive: changes in Debian?

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since a couple of days, if I upgrade my Debian Testing machine, I see
> that a whole bunch of texlive* packages are to be installed, many of
> them new and a few hundreds of additional disk space is to be used. Are
> there any changes going on in Latex packages in Testing these days?

tetex is old and deprecated, texlive is its successor. In the long run, all
the debian packages will be migrated to texlive from tetex. The transition
has been announced sometime back on
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/04/msg00006.html . Only
recently the texlive packages started to trickle into testing from
unstable. I also suggest to subscribe to debian-devel-announce to keep
abreast of these kind of transitions.

> Do I
> need both tetex and texlive packages? And, finally, what's the relation
> between these two kind of packages?

Most likely you need only texlive packages in the long run.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi