Re: System freeze when copying files

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Zoho Vignochi wrote:

Hello,

There was a thread back in Feb:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/02/msg00129.html regrading a
total system freeze while copying files. I have the same problem. Cannot
ssh in, no response at all from the keyboard and I must reboot via the
power button. The two computers in question are a PPC Oopen Desktop
Workstation and a Linksys NSLU2. Both have debian sid installed.

hdparm for the PPC.
/dev/hda:
multcount     = 16 (on)
IO_support    =  1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq     =  1 (on)
using_dma     =  1 (on)
keepsettings  =  0 (off)
readonly      =  0 (off)
readahead     = 256 (on)
geometry      = 16383/255/63, sectors = 156301488, start = 0

The NSLU2 has a 1 GB usb keychain (sda) which the os is installed on and
a 100 GB external USB hard drive (sdb) for data storage.

/dev/sda:
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
geometry     = 121/255/63, sectors = 1952767, start = 0

/dev/sdb:
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
geometry     = 19457/255/63, sectors = 312581808, start = 0

No matter what I do, the PPC freezes hard if I try to transfer a file
larger than 1 GB. The NSLU2 does not freeze. Here are the methods I have
tried all of which caused a hard freeze before the file was completely
transferred.

1) Mount the partition from the NSLU2 over nfsv4 and cp a file
2) Mount the partition from the NSLU2 over ssh using fuse and cp a file
3) scp the file from PPC to NSLU2
4) scp the file from NSLU2 to PPC
5) wget from the NSLU2 to a file offered up on a webserver located on
the PPC.

The previous thread noted that DMA should be turned on. Can you do that
for a usb external harddrive? And might that be the reason for the hard
freeze? Like I said, the NSLU2 does not freeze but the PPC does.

Thanks for any advice,

Zoho

Hi,

I'm going to guess what you are having problems with here is actually your ethernet device and not your disks. You may want to try to add some of these options to your grub menu:
acpi=noirq irqpoll

One of those might help you out.

hth,
jeff

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.