Re: dpkg: error processing texlive-common (--configure)

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 12:40:09 -0400, H.S. wrote:
In Debian testing, I am getting this error after an upgrade:

Setting up texlive-common (2005.dfsg.3-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/texlive-common.postinst: line 118: /usr/share/tex-common/tetex-bin-upgrade: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing texlive-common (--configure):

[ snip: more errors for packages that depend on texlive-common ]

What should I do next? It is probably not okay to leave the things in this state, is it?

Seems to be this issue:

#429753 [FIXED 2007-10]: texlive-commong post-install action fails, blocking tex/latex install
#425270 [FIXED texlive-base 2007-7]: texlive-common: still calling tetex-bin-upgrade

One of the follow-ups of #429753 suggests that it is enough to comment
out line 118 in the post-installation script. (tetex-bin-upgrade is
obsolete for Lenny; it only exists in the Etch version the tex-common
package.) If that is the case then it should also be possible to provide
a symlink to /bin/true as a "fake" tetex-bin-upgrade command:

ln -s /bin/true /usr/share/tex-common/tetex-bin-upgrade
dpkg --configure texlive-common
rm -i /usr/share/tex-common/tetex-bin-upgrade
aptitude install -f

(You can of course also use apt-get for the last step if you prefer.)

Thanks. I will do as you suggest below, unless I have to use latex and see that I need to fix the package (in which case, I will try one of the above two methods).

If you want to play it safe then you can simply wait for texlive-common
2007-10 to come to Lenny. This might still take a while, though:

http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=texlive-base

regards,
->HS