Re: How to check if a DVD is damaged?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 7/4/07, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A few days ago I by chance realized that the DVD-RW I had used for
>> months to do
>> may backup was probably damaged: apparently it was not, because I
>> could burn my
>> data onto it without problems; but when I tried to copy its content
>> into a hard
>> disk I got I/O errors and some directories could not be copied.
>>
>> The problem disappeared when I changed the DVD with a brand new one,
>> but now I
>> feel not sure: how can I know when my actual backup DVD should in case be
>> damaged as well?  Is there any tool for that?
>
> K3b has an option to verify if original data matches the copy. This
> takes far longer than just burning of course; maybe twice as long.

CD-Writing HOWTO:
dd if=/dev/scd0 of=cdimage.

This command reads the content of the CD-ROM from .... SCSI CD-writers
are slightly easier to set up with regard to CD-writing ...
tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-4.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Then you can  compare the iso image  you wrote to DVD  with the iso
image you got back from dd

best regards

Morten