Re: svn checkout via a web-browser?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:20:57AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:

> >> I failed: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/07/msg00075.html
> >> And help didn't help:
> >> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/07/msg00162.html
> >
> >You'll probably have the same problem with a web browser having a
> >svn client extension. With a proxy server that filters some method,
> >you can't access all the web, and changing the client won't solve
> >your problem. If you control the web server itself, perhaps you can
> >try something like SSH over HTTP (if CONNECT is allowed).
>
> It's interesting to note that I tried TortoiseSVN which runs on
> Windows and worked without a breeze. This leads me to think that the
> web server (which I dodn't control) does accept svn requests.
> The company network is run by Windows.

I'm getting in late in this thread, but the "windows proxy" thing caught
my eye (or is it "caught my ear"? never mind...)

Most unix/linux tools are quite happy to work behind a standard HTTP
proxy. But windows IIS proxy is *NOT* a standard proxy when it requires
NTLM authentication - weirdy stuff...

But epiphany understands NTLM, and I presume that TortoiseSVN does too.
If you gave them your Windows "active directory" (ldap for you and me)
password, that would be a clue.

If the proxy is an NTLM-demanding windows proxy, then I'd expect other
tools *not* to work too, e.g.:

    $ wget http://www.google.com

would fail because of the proxy. Even:

    $ http_proxy=http://172.1.2.3:80  wget --proxy-user yourname --proxy-password=yourpassword  http://www.google.com

would fail too with a message to the effect "not allowed".

If you *do* have one of these nasty NTLM proxies, you can still use it
by adding your own proxy "in front of" it (which usually means locally)
nd letting your applications use that as a proxy.  That's what the
ntlmaps package does...

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen