Re: restarting pump (DHCP) automatically when network unavailable at boot time

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> The problem with dhclient is that it disconfigures the loopback
> interface under some conditions. A bug is still open after 7 years!
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=65718

That bug may still be open but I have never seen it in any
configuration.  I think that bug may no longer be there but no one has
verified it to root cause and so it has not been closed.  There is no
discussion after the first report.  Is anyone else seeing that bug?  I
would guess not.

> Also I need to control whether a DHCP client is running or not,

Hmm...  Usually saying 'iface eth0 inet dhcp' is enough.  When
ifupdown runs it will automatically start the installed dhcp client.
For me when I did not want that I simply did not configure that device
as an 'auto' device and then I could control it completely.

The Etch default is to use network-manager to bring network devices
online.  See /usr/share/doc/network-manager/README.Debian for full
details.

> because on another machine (a laptop) I use netenv and DHCP is not
> used on some networks (BTW, I've already have a "killall pump" in
> my netenv scripts on this laptop, and I could probably do the same
> thing with dhclient).

I have not used netenv and I don't know about it but I think that
maybe you simply need to remove all of the 'auto' and 'allow-hotplug'
lines from the file.  Then it won't be started automatically.  Then
you won't have to kill the dhcp clients.  Then you can use netenv to
start up the device the same as you have been doing.  I would guess
anyway.  That seems cleaner.

Bob