Re: unbale to do dhclient after MAC change (ifconfig eth1 hw ether XX:XX..)

Jabka Atu(mashrom.head@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Hello,..
>
> im using debian SID (64 bit) on Acer 5102.
> using bcm4318 wifi card.
> kernel 2.6.21-2-amd64

That is a driver for a Broadcom card.

> since i noticed that my local AP started to collected data about my serf
> i guesed it is time to play with MAC masquerade.
>
> i have compiled the madwifi module .
> and loaded it.

Madwifi is a driver for Atheros Cards _not_ Broadcom cards.

As I do not use any Broadcom cards, I suggest you use google and
search for your card model and linux.  Note the Model number of your
card.

Here's why.

>From "Linux Quick Fix Notebook" by Peter Harrison
<quote>

Chapter 13 Linux Wireless Networking

    Wireless Linux-Compatible NICs

    Not all wireless NICs work in Linux.  For this reason, do your
    homework.  You can find hardware compatibility list for Wireless
    Tools quite easily on popular search engines.  For Linux-WLAN,
    check www.linux-wlan.org for the latest list of compatible
    hardware.

    Wireless NIC manufactures are notorious for changing the chip sets
    on their cards depending on the price of the components.  They
    then supply different drivers with each new card to make them
    work.  It is possible to buy cards with the same model number from
    the same vendor with very different circuitry.  Frequently Linux
    drivers for the new cards are unavailable.  Always check the
    compatibility lists before buying your wireless hardware.

    The Linksys WMP11 wireless card is a good example of this
    confusion.  The original version of the card used the Intersil
    Prism chip set, which worked with Linux, but the newer version 2.7
    (Broadcom chip set) and version 4 (InProComm chipset) do not.
    Even so, their original WMP won't work without upgrading the
    firmware.

</quote>

Another compatibility list can be found at http://madwifi.org

Side note:  This is a very good Linux reference book.  It is from the
"Bruce Peren's Open Source Series" and is published under the Open
Publication License, an open book license, which means that an
electronic version will be made available at no cost after the book(s)
have been in print for six months.

At over 660 pages I have not finished reading it yet but I am very
glad I purchased it for my bookshelf.

Wayne

--
A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
tray and the blinking red light.