Re: Media Wiki 1.7 - Set-up / Install Help

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 08:33:38AM -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2007 12:04, Ken Irving wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:19:15AM +0100, Nick Adie wrote:
> > >
> > > The read me file is very confusing as it talks about a file that does not
> > > exist and a symbolic link that appears to have no relevence.
> > >
> > > Has anyone experience of the installation/set-up of MediaWiki, and if so
> > > could I have a few pointers please.

> >     1. Move /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/config/LocalSettings.php to
> >        /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/LocalSettings.php for normal install,
> >        root of your install for multisite, with rights 640
> >
> > There's presumably somem reason this isn't done automatically by the
> > installer, but here you're just relocating the setup script generated
> > by the installer.  Somewhere else there's a suggestion to create a
> > symlink to this setup script into /etc/mediawiki1.7/; this just puts
> > the script into the more conventional /etc/ tree, which makes sense
> > -- not sure why this isn't done automatically, but maybe it has to do
> > with single- or multi-wiki sites...
> I had the same problem as Nick when I recently installed Mediawiki as a single
> user system on a etch box. I did something similar to Ken's suggestion, only
> I used syslinks (which were there but not properly connected) instead of
> moving the files. I did also have a disconnected syslink after I got MW
> working to AdminSettings.php. I have been unable to figure out what/where I
> should link this to. Any ideas? I have seen this problem only rarely and an
> explanation in the Readme file would be very helpful (hint,hint, to
> developer)
> Thanks!

I see a "dead" symlink at /usr/share/mediawiki1.7/AdminSettings.php
pointing back to /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/AdminSettings.php which doesn't
exist.  A number of other .php files in /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/ are
symbolic links back to (existing) files in /usr/share/mediawiki1.7/.

I did what was described in the installation script, and ended up with
a working system.  The LocalSettings.php file I moved was generated by
the installation script, at the end of which are instructions to move
it to /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/; my guess is that that generated script
is what might be intended as the target of the dead AdminSettings.php
link, but the instructions were to call it "LocalSettings.php".

The /etc/mediawiki1.7/README file explains (the arcane reasons)
why things are located in /var/lib/mediawiki1.7, and *suggests*
setting this symbolic link:

  ln -s /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/LocalSettings.php /etc/mediawiki1.7/my-site.org.config

Again, LocalSettings.php must be moved to that location from the
config/ directory, or it won't exist.  The my-site.org.config file
in /etc/ is suggested for convenience, putting the main config file
for the wiki in a sensible place.

I have no idea why things seem so obtuse, kind of rare for debian
packages, but it does work if you follow the directions.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu