Re: Mounting USB HDs the same every time.

>    I have 4 USB hard drives on my server in my basement.  The power
> went out the other night for about 30 seconds and when the server came
> back online, most of my Samba shares where messed up.  I figured out
> what happened was that the drives were not initialized in the same
> order as they were when I setup the shares.  Now a drive that used to
> be /media/usb0 was say /media/usb1.

> So I have to go back and reconfigure my samba.conf file, not a huge
> deal, but still a pia.  Is there anyway to make it so that the drives
> will always be named correctly upon rebooting of the server and
> mounted?

With udev, you have a permanent name under /dev/disk/by-id

> I think it needs to be done in fstab is that correct?

Use link provided by udev instead of /media/usb*

> The other issue I have is that I always have to actually click on
> each drive before it is able to be used by anyone else.  Not sure
> why, but I don't think the drives are getting mounted at bootup.

The last field on your fstab line must be 2 instead of 0. But be sure
that your usb drive are powered on when you boot.

Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they
need, not what they want." Kurt Bittner