Re: Mounting USB HDs the same every time.

On 06/30/07 14:04, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 02:45:59PM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
I have 4 USB hard drives on my server in my basement. The power went out the other night for about 30 seconds and when the server came back online, most of my Samba shares where messed up. I figured out what happened was that the drives were not initialized in the same order as they were when I setup the shares. Now a drive that used to be /media/usb0 was say /media/usb1.

So I have to go back and reconfigure my samba.conf file, not a huge deal, but still a pia. Is there anyway to make it so that the drives will always be named correctly upon rebooting of the server and mounted? I think it needs to be done in fstab is that correct? The other issue I have is that I always have to actually click on each drive before it is able to be used by anyone else. Not sure why, but I don't think the drives are getting mounted at bootup.

Use volume label names.  Name the volume with the tools for the specific
filesystem (ext2, JFS, etc) then use LABEL= in fstab and with the mount
command.  The the respective man pages.

Or UUIDs.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/522#comment_15

--