weird aptitude behavior

I just installed Etch on an old Mac G3 to act as a multi-purpose
server for my house. I'm having trouble with aptitude though. When I
wanted to install postfix, aptitude wanted to install something like
109 packages! Many of them x11 related... I used apt-get instead.
Now when I go to install MediaWiki, I get different results depending
on if i install mediawiki or mediawiki1.7. When installing mediawiki,
aptitude wants to install x11-common and mozilla-browser? What's up
with that? Do I have something configured incorrectly?

# aptitude -s install mediawiki
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
 apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common cpp
cpp-4.1 dbus debconf-utils
 defoma dictionaries-common esound-clients esound-common fam file
fontconfig fontconfig-config
 freetype1-tools gconf2 gconf2-common gnome-keyring gnome-mime-data
gs-common gs-gpl gsfonts
 gsfonts-x11 gv hicolor-icon-theme hlatex-fonts-base
hlatex-fonts-extra iceape-browser
 iceape-gnome-support imagemagick latex-beamer latex-cjk-all latex-cjk-chinese
 latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bsmi00lp
 latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gbsn00lp latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gkai00mp
latex-cjk-common
 latex-cjk-japanese latex-cjk-japanese-wadalab latex-cjk-korean
latex-cjk-thai latex-xcolor
 lesstif2 libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1 libaprutil1 libart-2.0-2
libatk1.0-0 libatk1.0-data
 libaudiofile0 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
libavahi-glib1
 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcairo2
 libcompress-zlib-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libdbus-1-3
libdbus-glib-1-2 libesd0
 libexpat1 libfam0 libfont-afm-perl libfontconfig1 libfontenc1
libfreetype6 libfs6 libft-perl
 libgconf2-4 libglade2-0 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data
libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0
 libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common
libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common
 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra libgtk2.0-0
libgtk2.0-bin
 libgtk2.0-common libhal-storage1 libhal1 libhtml-format-perl
libhtml-parser-perl
 libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libice6 libidl0
libjasper-1.701-1 libjpeg62
 libkpathsea4 liblcms1 libmagic1 libmagick9 libmailtools-perl libmyspell3c2
 libmysqlclient15off libnet-daemon-perl liborbit2 libpango1.0-0
libpango1.0-common
 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libplrpc-perl libpng12-0 libpoppler0c2
libpq4 libsm6 libsmbclient
 libsqlite3-0 libt1-5 libtiff4 libtimedate-perl libttf2 liburi-perl
libwww-perl libx11-6
 libx11-data libxau6 libxaw7 libxcursor1 libxdmcp6 libxext6
libxfixes3 libxfont1 libxft2
 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml-parser-perl libxml2 libxmu6 libxp6
libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxrender1
 libxt6 lmodern mediawiki1.7 mediawiki1.7-math mime-support
mozilla-browser myspell-en-us
 mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.0 perl-tk
pgf php5 php5-cli
 php5-common php5-mysql portmap preview-latex-style psfontmgr psmisc
psutils python
 python-minimal python2.4 python2.4-minimal sgml-base
shared-mime-info tetex-base tetex-bin
 tetex-doc tetex-extra tex-common texinfo ttf-dejavu ucf
x-ttcidfont-conf x11-common xaw3dg
 xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils xml-core xpdf xpdf-common xpdf-reader
xpdf-utils xutils
 xutils-dev

This looks more sane:
# aptitude -s install mediawiki1.7
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
 apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common debconf-utils file
 libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1 libaprutil1 libdbd-mysql-perl
libdbi-perl libexpat1 libmagic1
 libmysqlclient15off libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl libpq4
libsqlite3-0 libxml2 mime-support
 mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.0 php5
php5-cli php5-common

What's going on here? Ant insight would be appreciated...

-Matt
--
A-la peanut butter sandwiches!
          - the Amazing Mumford