Re: Forcing Postfix SMTP client to use AUTH LOGIN

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 05:34:59PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> I am trying to get Postfix (2.3) to relay mail via an upstream server
> running exim 4.60.
>
> The exim server requires SMTP AUTH and in response to EHLO advertises
> that it supports both AUTH PLAIN and AUTH LOGIN. However, it is
> broken. AUTH PLAIN doesn't work, only AUTH LOGIN works.
>
> I have verified this both by setting up kmail to send via the exim
> host and by logging in by hand using telnet. In both cases, the exim
> server refuses to accept the username and password sent via AUTH
> PLAIN, but happily accepts the same username and password with AUTH
> LOGIN.
>
> However I do not seem to be able to tell postfix to use AUTH LOGIN.
> I have "mech_list: LOGIN" in smtpd.conf but the log files reveal that
> it is still using AUTH PLAIN.
>
> How do I force postfix to use AUTH LOGIN when it seems determined to
> ignore my smtpd.conf?

Doh! It's like waiting for a bus, as soon as you give up patience and
light a cigarette, along comes the bus. Or in this case, the useful
google hit.

The answer is to include

  smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = !plain, static:rest

in /etc/postfix/main.cf

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons        - -        Pigeon's Nest: http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/