Re: How to move the master boot record?

On Sunday 01 July 2007 13:33:17 Rodolfo Medina wrote:

[snip]

> I've done more tests and these are my conclusions:
>
> 1) if I run the above grub commands from the `target' partition everything
> goes well: e.g., if I want to install hda6 grub boot loader to the mbr, I
> have to do:
>
>    # grub
>    grub > root (hd0,5)
>    grub > setup (hd0)
>    grub > quit
>
>    from hda6; instead, if I want to install hda9 grub boot loader to the
> mbr, I have to do:
>
>    # grub
>    grub > root (hd0,8)
>    grub > setup (hd0)
>    grub > quit
>
>    from hda9.  This way things seems to go fine.
>
> 2) If I give those commands from Knoppix 5.0, they work for Etch, whereas
> Sarge does not manage to boot any more: I have to get back to Knoppix and
> install Etch grub to mbr, boot from there into Sarge and there install grub
> to mbr.
>
> So, if I want to use those commands, from Knoppix, to, say, restore Linux
> boot after a Windows installation, they are not supposed to work with
> Sarge, whereas they should with Etch.
>
> What do you think?

IMO, it is all working as it is supposed to.  As for Sarge, I wouldn't know
because I never used Sarge.  My first Debian was Etch, and it didn't last
long because I am the sort that prefers the bleeding edge.

Remember that Knoppix is based on Sid/Experimental, so of course the grub that
it uses is much newer than that of Sarge, and depending on which version of
Knoppix one uses, could be newer than that in Etch.

I would strongly recommend just converting your Sarge system to Etch, but I
can understand your reluctance to do so.  But, like I said before, once the
MBR is written, then just adjust grub's menu.lst file and have it boot any
system you want.  If you add new systems, you don't *have* to let the
installation install grub, since it's already there, but you would have to
tell your menu.lst where to fine the new system.   That is just another Title
entry into the grub's menu.lst

Best of luck to you.  I think you're getting the hang of the grub commands.

Joe