Re: Updating without Apt

William Pursell wrote:
> I would be surprised if a major update to emacs weren't in
> sid within a few days, if not hours.

You missed the very long thread in this list last month with the
subject "I am ANGRY with Debian" where this topic was discussed.

In summary, no, recent emacs is not available in Sid and won't be for
some time.  This is a result of the GNU GFDL not being DFSG-free.

The emacs packages have been orphaned:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-emacsen/2007/03/msg00012.html

Fortunately Romain Francoise has set up an unofficial emacs-snapshot
that may provide relief for emacs users desiring something newer than
emacs21.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-emacsen/2007/04/msg00002.html

Bob