Updating without Apt

My name is Andrew, and I use Debian Lenny on an x86 machine.

I love Debian. I love apt. The Debian/Apt combination has allowed me to use software I would have never before dreamed to be possible to use. I'm quite content with my system at the moment. My problem comes when a piece of software that I use with frequency is updated by the developers in a major way. The Debian repositories do not reflect this change, and likely won't for some time.

The software in question is emacs22. Currently I have it compiled in my home directory at ~/source/emacs/, where I run it directly out of the src directory. I dare not "make install", or my apt install will be permanently harmed and/or it won't work and I will be faced with a crippled, non-running version of emacs on my system. Not only that, but with this compilation I was able to enable GTK for the X11 run of emacs. I loved having that kind of flexibility with my compilation.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that if I did a make install it wouldn't affect my current install or something like that?

Thanks,
Andrew Gray