Re: Updating without Apt

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:27:23PM -0700, Andrew Gray wrote:
> My name is Andrew, and I use Debian Lenny on an x86 machine.

[...]
> The software in question is emacs22. Currently I have it compiled in my
> home directory at ~/source/emacs/, where I run it directly out of the
> src directory. I dare not "make install", or my apt install will be
> permanently harmed and/or it won't work and I will be faced with a
> crippled, non-running version of emacs on my system.

[...]
> Is there anything I can do to ensure that if I did a make install it
> wouldn't affect my current install or something like that?

while I've not built emacs from source before, the SOP for these sorts
of things is to install local packages into /usr/local/

generally there are ./configure options you can set to change the
install directory. Debian packages will not touch /usr/local, so
you'll be good to go. YOu could even statically link program so that
you won't have to worry about libraries upgrading underneath you.

hth.