Re: Waking up server during boot prevents NFS mounts after upgrade to etch

Bob Proulx schrieb:
This is probably related:

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-sysvinit-commits/2006-November/000923.html

I agree. Unfortenately, ASYNCMOUNTNFS=no does not give me quite "the old init.d/mountnfs.sh behaviour" as advertised in the changelog.

Using sync versus async is completely different and unrelated.  That
has to do with the protocol used after the clients have mounted.
I guess you are talking about something other than the value of ASYNCMOUNTNFS, which is what I meant? Sorry, I probably used the wrong terms.

I thought you were talking about the sync/async option.  See this
reference for more information.

  http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s05.html#sync_versus_async

Now I got it. So sync/async is a server export option while ASYNCMOUNTNFS is a client init option.

I'm not quite sure whether to file a big report. In the end its my initscript that causes the problem. On the other hand, without waking up server there wouldn't be any mounts at all :-)

I think this would be covered by the 'initscripts' package.  You may
want to look to see if this is already reported in the BTS.

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=initscripts;dist=unstable

I guess, I'll file a bug report for initscripts. They seem to have a couple of problems on their hands already at the moment.

BTW: Nice hints on your website, Bob. I now have a .hushlogin :-) And thanks again for your help.

Malte