Re: Sound card not working

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 01:29:39PM -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > I have to say that since alsa started shipping with dmix by default,
> > it all works *much* better. But its still confusing and is (to my mind
> > at least) sucn an esoteric subject that its kind of all like
> > blackmagic to make it work properly.
>
> PulseAudio is the future:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/

so is it really the future? It looks pretty sweet and I think one of
the real problems with linux adoption overall is the sound situation
(the video situation seems to be in pretty good shape to me). With
multiple solutions in various stages of adoption, its kind of
frustrating to make sense of it. I didn't dig into the website much,
so didn't see: is there any indication that the world is actually
moving this way as a sort of standard? I thought that's what alsa was
supposed to be?