Re: Sound card not working

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> I have to say that since alsa started shipping with dmix by default,
> it all works *much* better. But its still confusing and is (to my mind
> at least) sucn an esoteric subject that its kind of all like
> blackmagic to make it work properly.

PulseAudio is the future:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/

There is a presentation linked to off of their site that lists the
limitations of other solutions, such as ALSA dmix. I use it, it's quite
nice--Zeroconf support for network-transparent sound. Which is nice
when you want to play a video on your laptop and get sound output
through a stereo hooked up to your desktop box. :)

Best yet it has support for emulating ESD, right down to it's API and
wire protocol.

Andrew J. Barr

Woke up in my clothes again this morning,
don't know exactly where I am...