Re: stability problem; Asus M2N-MX mobo AMD 64; etch; is it hardware or software?

Prismatic Plasma wrote:
On Monday 25 June 2007 05:31, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 03:19:22AM +0000, Prismatic Plasma wrote:
I've had this problem for a while, and I can't seem to solve or even
fully diagnose what's wrong. The 2 most common symptoms are:
1) random segmentation faults during compiling. It's most apparent (and
annoying) during long compiles. There's sometimes an assembler message
instead, complaining about unknown variables or junk at end of line. In
the error message it's often apparent that something got corrupted by one
character. The file is usually a header and it isn't corrupted on disk.
memory.

2) occasionally the system goes wild and thrashing, sucking up nearly all
cpu. Sometimes it causes the machine to lock up, but usually I can kill
the process that triggered the problem and everything settles down after
10 seconds or so. If I restart the process, sometimes everything's okay,
sometimes it goes wild again.
maybe memory.

Is this a familiar problem? Is it the mobo or ram? Or is it a software
issue messing up virtual memory? My bios is updated, and I've tried
several kernels in the 2.6 line, including a couple of custom compiles.
The problem exists even in single-user mode, so it doesn't have anything
to do with the windowing system. I'm currently using kernel 2.6.21, etch
amd-64, ext3 fs, and sata disk (WD Cavalier, I think).
definitely memory.

Do you mean bad ram? Or is it a timing issue from bios that need twiddling? The machine's been flakey like this since I got it.

I had just that problem but with my current mobo (EP-8VTAI). When I just had it: random segmentation faults in places where that should never happen (compiles) and hard stops.

It turned out that I had to raise the DIMM voltage by 0.4 volts. That is 2.5 volts by default and can be raised on this board by steps of 0.2 volts. I raised it first 0.2 volts and the problem lessened but did not go away. Then raised it by 0.4 volts and the board is like a rock.

I would try to raise the DIMM voltage on that board and see what happenes.

Hugo