Re: Fail2ban application

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 10:54:49PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> I get sporadic and not uncommon failures to authenticate sending email using
> exim4 smarthosting to my provider. Is there a way to get fail2ban to give me
> immediate notification when this occurs?

fail2ban is designed to ban ip addresses when someone tries to
authenticate against *your* box nd fails the specified number of
times. It is generally used for things like banning ip's that are
dictionary attacking you ssh server or something along those
lines. I'm not sure its really suited to do what you want.

Does the authentication failure get to /var/log/exim4/paniclog? that
thing is empty unless there is a real problem, so just checking the
file size of panic log would be simple and straightforward.