Re: Server keeps freezing up

Hi Till

Thank you very much for taking the time to get back to me on this issue.

On 6/24/07, Till Wimmer <g4-lisz@tonarchiv.ch> wrote:
sounds to me like a hardware problem. Or did the problem start after a
certain update? What do the log files look like just before the crash?

This problem began a month back where the server froze. It was reset
and didn't play up again until last week thursday when it did the same
thing and ever since thursday it's been freezing every 16 hours or so.
There were no major updates done on the system during this time.

What does concern me however is that the freeze starts first with
mysql and in particular quite heavy load database on that. Basically
that database crashes while the others are fine and then soon after
that the entire server freezes.

In checking the log files I have to say I see simply nothing.
Everything from a log file perspective looks normal up until and
including the crash. Whats weird is that log files show no signs that
the server has crashed but it has.

Maybe you should run a memory check or change the RAM bars.
Did you check the BIOS settings? Maybe there are wrong timing settings
for the RAM.

I will have to get the datacenter to check this info for me.

How old is the server hardware? Is the cooling in good order?

The server is only 3 months old and was bought brand new at the time
when it was launched.

I have also setup a script using cron to check memory consumption and
processes and hopefully I can catch something at the time this happens
again. I think memory may also be an issue so it will be interesting
to see what the output of the script is next time this happens.
--
Regards
Justin Hartman