Re: ssh on lan by hostname instead of dynamic ip

On Jun 22, 4:30 pm, Tod Detre <tde...@pantek.com> wrote:

>if you're machines are set up with
> ipv6 and are on the same lan, just use the ipv6 local address. you can
> get this by doing ifconfig and using the inet6 addr. It should start
> with fe80. Yeah, ipv6 address are long and hard to remember, but you can
> copy and paste and put it in your script. The address is based on the
> MAC address of your card and so shouldn't change unless you change
> hardware. Use ping6 to see if the machines can ping each other.

This sounded promising, and the machines are on the same home lan, but
I could not ping6 them or ssh -6 into them using those addresses.
Maybe there's something else I need to configure first?

In the meantime, I just did static ip addresses for the three Debian
machines for the time being.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

rd