Re: /etc is gone

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:49:47PM +0000, j j wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Bob McGowan <rmcgowan@veritas.com > wrote:
>
>     Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
>     > On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:54:30PM -0400, j j wrote:
>     >> Hello
>     >>
>     >> I have been have trouble with my debian box(64 studio).  i just
>     discovered that
>     >> /etc directory is missing.  I dont think i deleted it, but it seems that
>     I must
>     >> have.
>     >
>     > Perhaps not.
>     >
>     > Things to look at:
>     >
>     > - you haven't mounted something on /etc, have you? Although insanely
>     >   stupid, pls don't be offended. When weird things happen, it's time to
>     >   be insanely paranoid... (/proc/mounts should tell)
>     >
>     > - You haven't chroot'ed yourself, have you? (I know. Paranoia...)
>     >
>     > - Anything in the system logs? (things like re-mounting read-only or
>     >   filesystem corruption would be very interesting...)
>     >
>     > I am surprised that you don't mention any other problems - if /etc/ was
>     > really really gone, I'd expect loads of other problems.  Hence the
>     > somewhat paranoid checks...
>
>     Not least of which would be no password file, hence no way to log
>     in.  Plus, no rc scripts to bring the system up, either.  So, I'd suggest
>     the system has booted into some sort of maintencance mode.  Or, you're
>     simply in maintenance mode for some other reason, running from some sort of
>     RAM disk?
>
>     More info is needed, as printed during the startup, particularly just
>     before the point where you get a shell prompt.
>
> where do find all that is printed before i get a shell prompt?
> /var/log/?
> jj

Please don't top-post.

For the current kernel instance:
    # dmesg | less
will catch the last 8k (or so) messages...

Debian normally saves that in /var/log/dmesg. This only covers from boot
to start of sysklogd - stuff after that goes go syslog and is governed
by your syslog configuration - normally /var/log/syslog.

But if you're missing /etc, then all bets are off...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/