Re: /etc is gone

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:54:30PM -0400, j j wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have been have trouble with my debian box(64 studio).  i just discovered that
>> /etc directory is missing.  I dont think i deleted it, but it seems that I must
>> have.
>
> Perhaps not.
>
> Things to look at:
>
> - you haven't mounted something on /etc, have you? Although insanely
>   stupid, pls don't be offended. When weird things happen, it's time to
>   be insanely paranoid... (/proc/mounts should tell)
>
> - You haven't chroot'ed yourself, have you? (I know. Paranoia...)
>
> - Anything in the system logs? (things like re-mounting read-only or
>   filesystem corruption would be very interesting...)
>
> I am surprised that you don't mention any other problems - if /etc/ was
> really really gone, I'd expect loads of other problems.  Hence the
> somewhat paranoid checks...

Not least of which would be no password file, hence no way to log in.  Plus, no rc scripts to bring the system up, either.  So, I'd suggest the system has booted into some sort of maintencance mode.  Or, you're simply in maintenance mode for some other reason, running from some sort of RAM disk?

More info is needed, as printed during the startup, particularly just before the point where you get a shell prompt.

--
Bob McGowan