Debian default ssh configuration problem with public/private key checking

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Debian to accept my remote ssh
login. No problem with that, but I'm facing a
configuration problem:

It doesn't seem to be able to handle/accept the public/private key
checking, i.e.,what sourceforge.net is doing [1], but insists on checking
login password [2], which is not a recommended practice.

This is a vanilla sshd configuration. I.e., everything from Debian default.
What changes should I make to enable the public/private key Authentication?

thanks

[1] Correct log to ssh into sourceforge.net:

 [...]
 debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password
 debug1: Offering public key: /home/dsl/.ssh/id_rsa
 debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 149

[2] My own Debian sshd server:

 [...]
 debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sf.net/techdocs/