Re: Sound card not working

Mike McCarty wrote:
> I am administering (or attempting to, anyway) a Debian install
> on a machine a few years old. Debian is not recognizing the
> sound card for some reason. I do hear a "pop" during boot, so
> I suppose that something is recognizing and initing it to some
> degree, but no sounds. I have the output from dmesg as an attachment.
[...]

dmesg indicates that a Via chipset has been detected:
	Via 686a/8233/8235 audio driver 1.9.1-ac3

The Alsa Soundcard Matrix[1] indicates that this is built into the motherboard
("VIA southbridge AC97 audio").

The notes[2] state that you must have the "soundcore" module loaded. They also
give this Note to debian users: You need to save this information into a file in
the /etc/modutils/ directory (Eg. /etc/modutils/alsa) and run update-modules

        # ALSA portion
        alias char-major-116 snd
        alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
	# module options should go here

        # OSS/Free portion
        alias char-major-14 soundcore
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

	# card #1
	alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
	alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
	alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
	alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
	alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

There are other comments on this page that may get you going.

Don't forget to run alsaconf as root.

That's all I can think of. Hope that helps.

[1] http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-VIA#matrix
[2]
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=VIA&card=VIA+southbridge+AC97+audio.&chip=VIA82C686%2C+VIA8233%2C+VIA8233A%2C+VIA8235%2C+VIA8237&module=via82xx

--