Re: Setting permissions to new files?

Bruno Buys wrote:
Where do I change the permissions that are set when I create a new file? I mean, I'd like to be able to change the default permissions that my system atributes to new files.

bruno@merlin:~$ > newfile
bruno@merlin:~$ ls -l newfile
-rw-r--r-- 1 bruno bruno 0 2007-06-17 18:06 newfile

I'd like new files to be created as writable to the group, as in

-rw-rw-r-- 1 bruno bruno 0 2007-06-17 18:06 newfile

thanks!

Umask did the trick. Kde seems to be following /etc/profile, so i edited it. Konsole and yakuake needed a 'umask 02' added to ~/.bashrc (there was none) to behave well. Neither one was reading ~/.bash_profile, by the way. It remembers me when I was trying to add ~/bin to my path. There was

if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
   PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

but not worked.
Anyway, the issue is solved. Thanks all!