Re: Thinkpad 755CX

On Sunday 17 June 2007 8:36 pm, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> This is a 1995-vintage machine (guessing by the BIOS copyright date on
> the bottom) with a Pentium 75 and 16 MB of RAM (originally 8 until I
> found a loose RAM expansion card under the floppy disk, heh heh). It
> has no CDROM, no USB, no Ethernet. It does have a floppy disk, a
> parallel port*, and two PCMCIA slots. My preferred method of
> installation is a CompactFlash card in a PCMCIA sleeve, both for space
> and speed reasons. However, memory, or lack thereof is proving a
> problem for debian-installer. I have tried sarge, etch, and lenny
> hd-media images and they all fail in various stages of the kernel boot,
> most of the time before userland is started, sometimes panicking,
> sometimes just hanging. The same applies to the floppies from Etch
> (have not tried Sarge) but the Lenny installer does start in low-memory
> mode, but I am having issues figuring out how to get network drivers
> and/or packages onto this machine--all I have in the way of PCMCIA
> (e.g. 16-bit) networking hardware is a D-Link DWL-650 rev.P, which
> requires the HostAP driver and loadable firmware, neither of which are
> included with the Lenny installer.
>
> Anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this machine, including
> other Linux distributions and/or operating systems (e.g. FreeDOS)?
> Ultimately I'd like to get Debian in some form on the machine but
> right now it looks like I can't really afford to be picky.
>
> I'd rather not spend too much money on this machine, none preferably.
> It's just an idle hobby, and I already spend enough money on my other
> machines as it is. So in other words, I'd like to work with what I
> have, if at all possible.
>
> * I have a "LapLink" parallel cable suitable for PLIP...I _think_...if I
> didn't give it away...I'd rather not go rooting in the attic for that
> (have not tried Sarge) but the Lenny installer does start in low-memory
> mode, but I am having issues figuring out how to get network drivers
> and/or packages onto this machine--all I have in the way of PCMCIA
> (e.g. 16-bit) networking hardware is a D-Link DWL-650 rev.P, which
> requires the HostAP driver and loadable firmware, neither of which are
> included with the Lenny installer.
>
> Anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this machin
> if at all possible.
>
> --
> Andrew J. Barr
>
> Woke up in my clothes again this morning,
> don't know exactly where I am...
Tricky situation, but can you do a floppy boot to netinst? I think this will
work for you if you create an additional floppy disk with your network card's
drivers/firmware on it. During the installation process, exit to a prompt to
get the drivers/firmware from the floppy.

--
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>
Location: GA, USA              Web: http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com