Re: DPMS working again after X updates on Lenny

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 16:39:40 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I'd commented out the "options  DPMS" line in my xorg.conf, so that the
> monitor wouldn't keep going into standby mode every 30mins or so, and up to
> last nights updates, (including a load of X stuff) this had been working ok.
>
> This morning after installing all the updates, I rebooted the machine, just to
> make sure everything was still ok with Lenny, and now I find that the monitor
> is again going into standby after some 30mins or so. The "options DPMS" line
> is still commented out, but appears to be being ignored.
>
> I read a while back that xorg.conf was being deprecated, and would no longer
> be necessary. If that is so, and these x updates have made that change, where
> do I go now to stop DPMS being used.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers toward the file I need to look at.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is not depreciated yet. If I understand you
correctly, you had the DPMS line simply commented out in the past. This
means that you get the default behavior, which can change with an
upgrade. Try to turn DPMS off explicitly by using

Option "DPMS" "false"

in the monitor section of your xorg.conf.

If this does not have the desired effect then you should post the output
of:

grep -i dpms /var/log/Xorg.0.log

          Florian   |