PEAR on debian

I have the php-pear package installed. When I try to install a PEAR
package (as root using 'pear install Package) it seems to install ok but
then I'm unable to use it. <? require_once "Package"; ?> can't find it,
nor can I. The php include path is
'include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear'.

'pear list' shows it as being installed.

Could someone explain to me what's going on?

--
"The suppression of unnecessary offices, of useless establishments and
 expenses, enabled us to discontinue our internal taxes. These