Audio control problem

I am running 32-bit Debian Testing with a 2.6.20.1 kernel. I am using Alsa modules from that kernel. I don't have any other Alsa packages installed except alsamixergui.

I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe mainboard which has a Realtek ALC882M chipset which works with the snd_hda_intel kernel module.

This all works up to a point. Using KMix, xmixer or aumix I can control the speaker volume but not the microphone volume. There are two microphone controls on each of those mixers labelled 'Front Mic' and 'Mic' and neither of them do anything.

If I use alsamixergui I see many more control sliders than on the mixers mentioned above. On alsamixergui, although it also has 'Front Mic' and 'Mic' controls, I find that the microphone volume is controlled by a slider called 'Capture' which seems to work well although it seems that the controls settings are not saved between boots. Is there any way of saving the mixer settings?

Why the difference in the mixers controls? Why doesn't KMix have the extra sliders that alsamixergui has? I prefer having access to KMix from the KDE Panel so that I can adjust volumes on the fly.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk