Unexpected irq trap when booting

Howdy List,

In doing some googling to get Debian setup on a Dell Inspiron 1501 I
found some people had better success with the contrast/brightness
function keys if they downgraded the bios to an older version. So, I
tried this but Debian started hanging with an error message about
"unexpected irq trap at vector XX". I then upgraded back to the bios
version that came with the laptop, but the unexpected irq trap persists.

To make matters worse, the Debian Etch installer hangs with the same
error as well now (but different vector, if that means anything).
Knoppix, however, still boots just fine.

I have tried adding "noapic nolapic" to the boot options. That seems to
help the installer boot eventually, though it still pauses for a long
time working on the error. Debian on the hard drive still will not boot
though, because it can not get root mounted after the unexpected irq
trap.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions for how I can fix
this?

TIA,
Jacob

--