Re: Aptitude warning msg

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 07:08:56PM +0000, Manon Metten wrote:

> When I run aptitude update, I keep getting this error message:
>
> W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ftp.nl.debian.org etch/main Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nl.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages)
>
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
>
> When I run aptitude update a second time, it doesn't complain no more.
> But the next time I run aptitude update, the warning appears again.
>

> Should I remove the following line from my /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>     deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ etch main

That depends.  this line is just for main.  The duplicate is for more
than just main.  If you want the more, then delete the line with just
main.  If you only want main, delete the line with more.

> or should I remove the following file from /var/lib/apt/lists:
>
>     ftp.nl.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages

No.  /var/lib/ belongs to the packages involved.  If you fix
sources.list, then apt will fix its own lists.

Doug.