Re: reorder files with a mouse in a file browser and rename them

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
H.S. wrote:

Hello,

This may be a little odd question. Can any of the file browsers
(konqueror, nautilus) let a user reorder the files in a folder by
dragging them to a certain position and then to rename the ordered files
automatically with a file pattern?

This problem arose because I have a few hundred of images which are
jumbled up in time order. I have seen a friend do something similar in
XP's Windows Explorer. I am hoping it can be done in Linux too in some
way: order the image files by dragging them to their position in the
file browser and to run a script on the newly ordered files to rename
them numerically in that order.

thanks,
->HS

Dont use GUI for this sort of thing. Write a shell script which contains all
the necessary commands for performing the task. To get list of files, use
vim. You probably need to use commands such as

:!ls -rt *jpg

inside vim. Once the list is generated in your desired order, then generate
the list of new file names.

changing

file2.txt
file3.txt
file1.txt

001_file2.txt
002_file3.txt
003_file1.txt

The example I gave above was trivial to say the least.

is pretty trivial in vim if you know about registers etc., I know I am not

If you could elaborate on that a bit, it would be helpful to understand what you mean. But keep in mind that we are talking about some hundreds of files which appear in random order and one cannot judge where a file is supposed to be in a time line without first looking at the image file.

->HS

giving you complete answers, but those pointers should help you to get
started.

hth
raju