Re: reorder files with a mouse in a file browser and rename them

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This may be a little odd question. Can any of the file browsers
> (konqueror, nautilus) let a user reorder the files in a folder by
> dragging them to a certain position and then to rename the ordered files
> automatically with a file pattern?
>
> This problem arose because I have a few hundred of images which are
> jumbled up in time order. I have seen a friend do something similar in
> XP's Windows Explorer. I am hoping it can be done in Linux too in some
> way: order the image files by dragging them to their position in the
> file browser and to run a script on the newly ordered files to rename
> them numerically in that order.
>
> thanks,
> ->HS

Dont use GUI for this sort of thing. Write a shell script which contains all
the necessary commands for performing the task. To get list of files, use
vim. You probably need to use commands such as

:!ls -rt *jpg

inside vim. Once the list is generated in your desired order, then generate
the list of new file names.

changing

file2.txt
file3.txt
file1.txt

001_file2.txt
002_file3.txt
003_file1.txt

is pretty trivial in vim if you know about registers etc., I know I am not
giving you complete answers, but those pointers should help you to get
started.

hth
raju

--