Re: Find out host of IP

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:20:05 -0400
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> David Baron wrote:
>
> > Someone is trying to ssh on to my system. Trying on several
> > ports. Not the first time, either. Thankfully, he does not have
> > a password. Besides a bunch of Deprecated option
> > ReverseMappingCheck, so far no harm done.
> >
> > Since my logs have this IP number, how do I find out who it is?
>
> Not exactly answering your question. But I do see a lot of IPs
> performing dictionary attacks on my machine. What I do is go
> through /var/log/auth.log periodically and add the offending IPs
> to /etc/hosts.deny . That way, in future, the offending IPs cannot
> perform any dictionary attacks. I currently have around 85 IPs in
> this list (starting Apr 10, 2007) :-)
>
> You should also disable remote root logins to make the machine
> more secure.
>
> hth
> raju
> --

If you use Shorewall to help create a firewall, just add:

      -       -       1/min:2

after the entries that open ports for ssh.

It limits anyone to 2 tries during any 1 minute interval, then drops
them.

Sorry.  I don't know how to handle that using plain IPTables.

--
Raquel
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are