Re: Find out host of IP

David Baron wrote:

> Someone is trying to ssh on to my system. Trying on several ports. Not the
> first time, either. Thankfully, he does not have a password. Besides a
> bunch of Deprecated option ReverseMappingCheck, so far no harm done.
>
> Since my logs have this IP number, how do I find out who it is?

Not exactly answering your question. But I do see a lot of IPs performing
dictionary attacks on my machine. What I do is go through /var/log/auth.log
periodically and add the offending IPs to /etc/hosts.deny . That way, in
future, the offending IPs cannot perform any dictionary attacks. I
currently have around 85 IPs in this list (starting Apr 10, 2007) :-)

You should also disable remote root logins to make the machine more secure.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi