Re: Find out host of IP

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 08:33:21PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> Somehow, I am not comfortable with this. I have read in many places that key
> authentication is the most secure method and I agree with them. However it
> is not very convenient. Consider this situation.
>
> Say, I ssh into machineA from machineB. However machineB is not always known
> apriori. I can go to my friend's machine and want to ssh into machineA. In
> that case, how do I obtain get the key? Carrying the key with a USB stick
> is one option. But again that is also inconvenient for me. I guess
> convenience and security are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Quite right.  In your case, it may not work.  If you use your friend's
machine frequently enough, you might want to install a key on it (make
sure to protect it with a strong passphrase).  If you are always
bouncing around, that may not be good enough, however.  If you have a
laptop and normally use that, then a key-only scheme can probably work
for you.

It all depends on your circumstances.

Regards,

-Roberto