Re: what wants to remove gcc?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 09:23:58AM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Currently 'apt-get upgrade' wants to upgrade 289 packages. Rather than
> do them all at once, I like to do smaller groups packages. Right now it
> seems that for every package I try to upgrade, apt-get wants to REMOVE
> gcc yet upgrading all the packages at once does not. I don't understand.
> Why should upgrading python, for example, result in apt-get wanting to
> remove gcc?
>
> How can I find the package(s) that, once upgraded, will allow the
> upgrading of the others *without* trying to remove gcc? None of the
> files that gcc depends on are in the upgrade list.

I don't know.  I always use aptitude interactively so I can see exactly
what it wants to do and why.

Without further info, I would guess that your new python depends on a
newer libc which then breaks your version of gcc; I would guess shifting
dependencies.

Aptitude was designed to handle dependencies in a richer, more nuanced,
way but lets not start the apt-get/aptitude argument.  Suffice it to
refer to the Etch release notes that say that aptitude is now the
preferred way to handle packages.

Doug.