Re: problem displaying my keyboard layouts onscreen

On 06/11/2007 11:15 AM, Nigel Henry wrote:
I have KDE setup to use, gb, us, ca, fr, and dvorak keyboard layouts. I would like to display onscreen the keyboard layouts showing all levels, particularly level 3 (alt gr) , and level 4 (alt gr) + (shift).

Someone mentioned using xkbprint, but I'm darned if I can find out how to use it, or even if it will work with the KDE defined layouts, as they override the default layout, which is setup on install in the x config.

The man page for xkbprint is vague to say the least, but that's the norm for many man pages. Anyway it starts off by saying.
<quote>
"source" can be an X display specification or any compiled keymap (.xkm) file that includes a geometry description.
<end quote>

I can't make much sense out of that, and have looked for .xkm files in /etc/X11/xkb, but zilch, and all that's in those files is like trying to read egyptian hieroglyphs, at least to me.

Any suggestions apart from taking a course in egyptology welcome.

Nigel.

Source can be a display like :0. Try this out if you have xpdf and ps2pdf installed:

xkbprint :0 keyb.ps
ps2pdf keyb.ps keyb.pdf
xpdf keyb.pdf