Re: Is this a bug?

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 10:06:26PM +0530, Mahesh M wrote:

> Once I tried using the deluser commmand and while trying to see how well it
> works, I tried the following command:
>                    deluser root
> And to my surprise, root was deleted. Is that good? Self-termination,
> suiside!!!
> I dont know if this is a bug, or if it has been kept for some kind of
> flexibility.
>
> I feel that deluser should not delete the root, even though it may be able
> to delete other priviledged users.

There are all kinds of suicidal things the root user can do.  Don't
become root unless ALL of the following are true:

	You are sober
	You are not fatigued
	You are not distracted
	You know exactly what you want to do and why
	You are competent to do this
	You are able to forsee the problems that could devleop
		and competent to deal with those problems
	You cannot do this without becomming root.

Other suicidal actions include:

/bin/rm -Rf /
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

and others.

You can't expect a system written by hackers to have in place for every
app capable of wrecking the system to include confirmation for
everything.  It would get in the way of efficient use of the system.

Be careful.

Doug.