Re: Is this a bug?

Hi!

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 10:06:26PM +0530, Mahesh M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once I tried using the deluser commmand and while trying to see how well it
> works, I tried the following command:
>                     deluser root
> And to my surprise, root was deleted. Is that good? Self-termination,
> suiside!!!

It's not *that* good.... But there's no law against shooting yourself in
the foot. (except perhaps Darwin's law?)

> I dont know if this is a bug, or if it has been kept for some kind of
> flexibility.

Under some rare circumstances, a root user is not necessary, so the line
can be safely deleted from /etc/passwd. E.g. for a dedicated router, you
can get away with stopping all processes whilst leaving the kernel
running and forwarding packets. Also some people prefer to rename root
to something else...

But it is somewhat rare...

> I feel that deluser should not delete the root, even though it may be able to
> delete other priviledged users.

I doubt it would be considered a bug - but a warning in the style of "Do
you really know what you're doing?" might be useful.

I wouldn't like to see them system shouting warnings whenever the system
administrator is about to do something dangerous - system administrators
are meant to know what they're doing. And if they don't, then you're
screwed anyway....

:-)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen