gnomad2 crashes, also neutrino

At the moment, there appears to be no way for me to access a Creative
Zen Xtra from my desktop machine (running Debian testing).  I am aware
of only two Debian packages -- gnomad2 and neutrino.

%%% %%% %%% %%% %%% %%% %%%

gnomad2:

With the "music transfer" tab selected, gnomad2 (2.8.8) crashes with
the message:

    PDE device NULL.
    Segmentation fault

whenever I attempt to change the directory by double-clicking on a
directory link in the left-hand pane, or by typing a path in the box
directly above the left-hand pane.

%%% %%% %%% %%% %%% %%% %%%

neutrino:

It appears impossible to set the download path using the PREFERENCES
menu; the CLOSE button of the menu is not responsive.  When I
double-clicked on "local files" left-hand pane, the disk LED of my
desktop computer lit up and stayed illuminated almost continuously,
and the Gnome desktop became unresponsive.  I attempted to log in to a
virtual terminal, in order to become superuser and restart the desktop
machine, but the disk activity appeared to have priority.  I attempted
to log in via SSH from another machine in the LAN, but again was
unsuccessful because of the continuous disk activity.  Finally, I
pushed the RESET button.  Thankfully, the desktop restarted without
difficulty and there appears to have been no corruption of the file
system.

A prior incarnation (perhaps a year ago) of gnomad2 worked well, and
with it I was able to load music files into the Zen Xtra.  However, I
routinely upgrade packages whenever upgrades are available, so at this
point I do not know which version of gnomad2 I used.

The USB system of the desktop machine appears to be functioning
properly.  I am using a USB keyboard and USB mouse, and I am able to
read from and write to USB flash memory devices.

RLH