Re: AGP & DRI on a Radeon Xpress 1150

Jacob S wrote:
> Howdy List,
>
> I'm trying to setup Debian Etch on a new Dell Inspiron 1501. X is
> working great so far, except that I cannot get DRI enabled. I can
> modprobe radeon and tell the xorg.conf to use the radeon driver, but
> glxinfo still reports no DRI.
>
> Looking in the xorg.log file it says screen :0 is not dri capable. So I
> have tried adjusting refresh rates and resolution and everything but
> still the same error message.
>
> Finally I realized that it is not creating a /dev/dri/card0 device. I
> am assuming 'it' would be udev, in this instance, probably because
> there is no '*_agp' module loaded. So I tried loading each of the *_agp
> modules present in the 2.6.18-4-amd64 kernel but still
> no /dev/dri/card0. I have seen others say they got DRI working on their
> 1501, so I am hoping someone knows what I need to do or maybe another
> 1501 user can share some config details with me.
>
> Any hints or tips?
>
> TIA & HAND,
> Jacob

Search for "render" in the log-file Xorg.0.log. For the ATI XPRESS 200M
it says
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering broken on XPRESS 200 and 200M

I think the Xpress 1150 has the same problem. By the way, this is a PCIE
device, so no need for AGP.
May I call your attention to the ATI/AMD Radeon XPRESS 200M Linux Driver
Petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/x200MLin/petition.html
?
If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider signing
yourself. Maybe this is the way to reach hardware vendors if they don't
ask their customers by them self like Dell did.
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.