Re: Bash doesn't ignore whitespaces

Thanks for the suggestions

> That is very strange.  Did an IFS (input field separator) variable get
> set?  First I would verify that value.  The following is one way:
>
>   $ printf "$IFS" | od -tx1 -c
>   0000000 20 09 0a
>                \t  \n

That's what it says for me:

apo@eyecookie:~$ printf "$IFS" | od -tx1 -c
0000000 20 09 0a
             \t  \n
0000003

> Next I would verify that 'grep' is really the grep that you think it
> should be.  But I assume your whitespace statement applied to all
> commands.
>
>   type grep

grep is /bin/grep

> Next I would check your $HOME/.bashrc file and $HOME/.bash_profile
> files for anything that might have aliases 'grep' to something else.

There's nothing in any of those files. Would be weird, too. After all I
only installed Debian yesterday ;)

I'll now try stuff like reinstalling bash or compiling it myself,
getting newer versions etc. Perhaps it'll work. :)

--Valentin