Re: Bash doesn't ignore whitespaces

Valentin wrote:
> It seems that when I try to pipe stdout to other programs, bash doesn't
> ignore whitespaces.

Wow.  That would make doing anything very hard.

> Example:
> apo@eyecookie:~$ dmesg |grep foo
> apo@eyecookie:~$ dmesg | grep foo
> bash:  grep: command not found
>
> Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong or what I could change to
> make it work again?

That is very strange.  Did an IFS (input field separator) variable get
set?  First I would verify that value.  The following is one way:

  $ printf "$IFS" | od -tx1 -c
  0000000 20 09 0a
               \t  \n

Next I would verify that 'grep' is really the grep that you think it
should be.  But I assume your whitespace statement applied to all
commands.

  type grep

Next I would check your $HOME/.bashrc file and $HOME/.bash_profile
files for anything that might have aliases 'grep' to something else.

Bob