Re: Debian OS Backup

Jacob Ramirez wrote:
We are running linux with Debian OS.  I am new to using linux and
debian.  Can I use an external hard drive to backup the operating system
and files on our linux servers?  If so, how do I create a full backup of
the system for disaster recovery?  Is it easy to restore if there is a
need?

The most reliable backup/disaster recovery tool I've found, that general technical staff can deal with, is BackupEdge from www.backupedge.com. I've had great success with just about any SCSI tape drive and also had success with the ATAPI REV drives. I have not been able to get a SATA REV drive working in tandem with SATA hard drives on any linux flavor or kernel.
Get the backup device working with tar...
Install and configure BackupEdge and setup your backup schedule.
Create a RecoverEdge boot CD image and write it to CD.
Make a Master Backup.
Boot from the RecoverEdge CD.
Test the media (this will access the backup device, list the content, mount the filesystems and write a "success" flag in Edge's configuration on the hard drive).
Remove the boot CD and store it in a safe place.
We have our clients use 5 tapes/disks in a daily rotation, 3 in a monthly and have 2 spares for use after any failure. Never use a previously good tape after any failure. - Always use a new/spare one...
Enjoy,
Larry Irwin